Saturday, November 17, 2012

Humility, Obedience, and God's Blessings

Humility is a powerful thing.
Obedience is the greatest inroad to Daddy’s heart.

From the time of my youth Holy Spirit has pointed out many truths regarding humility and obedience and their tremendous effect on Abba’s heart, but two in particular:
  • Humility pleases God
  • Obedience moves God’s hand in blessing

Solomon’s Humility

One of my favorite scripture passages on humility doesn’t mention the word per se, but it doesn’t have to; the story it reveals exudes truth regarding how pleased God is with humble hearts.

1 Kings 3:5-14

At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, “Ask!  What shall I give you?”  And Solomon said, “You have shown great mercy to Your servant David my father, because he walked before You in truth, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart with You; You have continued this great kindness for him, and You have given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is this day.

Now, O, Lord my God, You have made Your servant king instead of my father David, but I am a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in.  And Your servant is in the midst of Your people whom You have chosen, a great people, too numerous to be numbered or counted.

Therefore give to Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people, that I may discern between good and evil.  For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?”

This speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing.

Then God said to him, “Because you have asked this thing, and have not asked long life for yourself, nor have asked riches for yourself, nor have asked the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern justice, behold, I have done according to your words.  See, I have given you a wise and understanding heart, so that there has not been anyone like you before you, nor shall any like you arise after you.

And I have also given you what you have not asked; both riches and honor, so that there shall not be anyone like you among the kings all your days.  So if you walk in My ways, to keep My statutes and My commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days.”

How I love this passage!  There’s SO much here of the power of humble transparency and how it richly entreats the heart of God.  Even as a child, when I read this passage, my heart was subdued by the mercy and graciousness of God that He would ask Solomon to choose the gift He would give him!  Whoa!  I still think that particular facet of kindness in Abba is amazing!  Hallelujah!

As if that wasn't marvelous enough, when Solomon reveals his humble, desperate desire to lead God’s chosen people in a manner pleasing and acceptable to Him you can just see a smile of tender gratitude and approval form on Abba’s lips like the bloom of a fragrant flower.  His previously solemn, searching eyes lovingly soften toward the young king and - well pleased - He resolves to grant the heir’s request... and then some.

I love it that we can’t out-give God.  O, when He is pleased with you, look up joyfully!

I fondly recall how that particular phrase - “this speech pleased the Lord” - first seized my heart’s attention and riveted my emotions in a way I hadn't sensed before, illuminating the realization of my own urgency to please Him.

As always, God’s delight in our righteous decisions is vocalized and enacted in His loving promises and powerful edicts over us.

Abraham’s Obedience

I believe one of the greatest personifications of obedience moving God’s hand in reward and blessing comes from none other than Abraham following the near sacrifice of Isaac.

In Genesis 22:16-19 when Abraham's faith was confirmed in humble and unconditional obedience to God’s commands - even to the brink of sacrificing his only son Isaac - God overtook him in the promise and (ongoing) fulfillment of staggering blessing in holy oath  saying,

“By Myself I have sworn, because you have done this thing and have not withheld your son, your only son - surely, in blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore... in your seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.”

It doesn't get better than that, folks!

The Lord absolutely relishes and delights in our humility and obedience.  And after we come through trial and testing successfully, Abba declares to us in gratifying assurance,

‘Now just watch Me bless you, baby!  See if I don’t keep My Holy Word and Name
in blessing and reward on your behalf!’

Hallelujah!!  Who is like unto our God?!  I love that about Him!

He is above all things, FAITHFUL.


May Holy Spirit seal these truths into your hearts, minds, souls, and spirits in Jesus' Name.

Be blessed,
Daddy's Girl


"... fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."
(Romans 12:11b)