Saturday, January 19, 2013

Identity Issues

I always feel bad for contestants on cooking shows who are crushed by losing.  I think it's mainly because these highly-talented individuals have placed every ounce of their identity in what they do.  Identity issues can be the most confusing of all personal dilemmas because the answer to them is often choked out by fleshly weeds.

I happen to enjoy cooking shows particularly (more than I enjoy cooking), but when any contestant anywhere leaves a competition discouraged and confounded, with their head down, often in tears, questioning their purpose in life, I grieve.  I also pray for them because I know what it's like to weigh life's value on society's scale; I'd say most of us do. Indeed, whenever I've placed the priceless coin of my identity (and, therefore, self-worth) into the slot machine of worldly opinion, words like catastropherejection, and failure clunk into place in mocking succession. 

In this place, I held barriers of misconception that would make the Berlin Wall resemble a park bench.  But when I think on the careful and loving approach Holy Spirit took to delivering my life from identity issues, this verse of scripture comes forward...  
"Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.  For you died, and your life is hidden in Christ with God.  When Christ Who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in Glory." (Col. 3:2-4)
God is faithful.

Daddy wanted me first to realize that the focus of my personal value systems and life assessments shouldn't be anywhere near the things of this earth.  This earth is corruptible, this earth is perishing, and my "old man" was of the corruptible earth.

Moreover, now that I'm in Christ, Daddy's word also says...
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.  Old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." (2 Cor. 5:17)
So He wasn't even dealing with me from the perspective of the flesh.  He doesn't actually communicate with my flesh, either; which isn't something I always knew.  Abba speaks to me "spirit to spirit" - that's the only communication He's interested in, because the flesh can't hear Him - especially my flesh!

I began to truly understand that where I put my focus in terms of assessing and valuing His life in me has nothing to do with the earth because, in Christ, I'm born again of incorruptible "seed"; that means I'm no longer a child of death but of life.  The inheritance from my earthly father was corruptible, but the inheritance I receive as a new creation in Christ is of my Heavenly Father Who is incorruptible and lives forever!  Hallelujah!

The theme of "child and Father" became a repetitive one for a reason, and when my heart asked the ultimate question of "so, who am I, Lord? What is my identity by Your definition?"  this is what He said to me in a word through my Pastor,
You are a daughter of Christ, baptized into the family of Christ through His shed blood and redemptive plan.  That is who you are.
With that, everything fit, my friends.  Since the world and the things of it are perishing and will pass away, identity placed in the world is also corrupt and perishable.  Ten out of ten times that way, I'm guaranteed to walk away from circumstance after circumstance dejected, rejected, and discouraged, just like those contestants.  BUT IN CHRIST, my true identity can never be taken away from me because Christ is in God by the power of Holy Spirit and the Three cannot perish or even fade away... They are Eternal.  Abba IS Eternity! The Godhead is incorruptible.  They live forever and identity placed "in Them" can never be taken away.  Praise Their Holy Name which is summed up in the Name that is ABOVE EVERY NAME... the sweet and incomparable Name of Jesus!

Hallelujah!  Who is like HIM Who gives reality and meaning to our lives? Who gives us purpose and breath and cause? Bless His Holy Name, for NONE IS LIKE UNTO HIM from everlasting to everlasting!  Oh, brag on Him, y'all, for HE IS WORTHY, and He is ours forever - Glory to His Name!

The Lord mercifully healed my perspectives with this truth, causing me to realize that I cannot place my identity in anything that can be taken away from me.  When I approach everything from the truth that I am Christ's daughter, everything yields to His perspective. All of my thoughts, opinions, imaginations, and desires bow the knee automatically to His directives within me by Holy Spirit.  As long as I am in Christ Jesus, I will never again be lost, for I have been found; death no longer has victory over me, for I have been redeemed and born again of incorruptible seed.  Christ lives in me, Who is the very Hope of Glory - the very Hope of my eternal relationship with the Father... so what should I fear or regard of earth's assessments?  Absolutely nothing.

There is never true loss in Christ - only lessons.  By His definition there are no failures - only opportunities to grow and, believe me, Saints - there is NO death in Him - only life! This truth was sealed in me in a whole new way when He allowed me the priceless visit (and subsequent visits) to Heaven to see my mom... I know what I'm praising about!

Are you a son or daughter of Jesus?  There's your identity.  It's not in being a butcher, a baker, or ice cream maker, my friends - it's found solely in your being a child of Christ. That's it, and that's everything you need.

Let's pray...

[Merciful God, in Jesus' Name, please enable us all to release the world's hold on our mindsets of identity and self-assessment.  Father, in Jesus' Name I do reject the lie that says my identity is in any person, place, or thing other than You, and I accept and receive my true identity as Your child.  I am Your son/daughter - that is all I need for fullness of life and Godliness.  I cover and seal this truth and new life within me with the Blood of Jesus, and I forbid the enemy, his minions, or operatives any access to any of it all, ever - in Jesus' Name.  Thank You, Lord. Amen.]

Hooray!  :0)

Bursting with JOY in His Spirit,
Daddy's Girl