Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Love of Trees

There's something about the idea that trees are constantly "praising" that motivates me to paint them.  Clapping and praising hands are paralleled with limbs and branches of trees in the Bible, and I've always liked that imagery.

I also enjoy the truth that God makes trees homes and resting places for birds of the air. Most birds are so gifted, you know, with the ability to fly and patterns of flight that send my mind and imagination soaring as I stand, flat-footed, on the ground watching.  I sometimes imagine I'm a tree, and it comforts me to know that trees are an important part of the lives of the masters of flight.  In truth, though physically rooted to the ground, the cool shadow and shelter and shield from harsh breezes trees provide makes them invaluably attractive to birds.  I love how God always evens the playing field in His creation by assigning value and hope and loving, useful purpose to everything.  Thank God for trees.

"Tree at Sunrise"
Copyright © 2012 Sharon Joy Gramling. All Rights Reserved.
Here's one I recently painted called, "Tree at Sunrise", and I couldn't resist adding some weary birds in the background, done-in from a night of flight, looking forward to resting and nesting a few hours within its hospitable boughs.  To stand and worship God all day is truly an honorable thing... it makes me cry thinking of it.

I don't know if my brushes will ever adequately reflect the love of God thriving in my heart, but the bowing thrust of a single tree's sweeping, slender arms releases the harmonies and chords of my spirit like the skillful baton of a conductor passionately milks melody from orchestras.  Jesus' love always brings out the best in us.  His trees are lovely, silent, and steadfast before Him from dawn to dusk and, when Abba's "wind" moves through them, they clap and sing praise.  They do.  I love trees and, most of all, I love the God Who created them.

What of God's creation do you love?  Thank Him for it today.

In Constant, Loving Awe of Him,
Daddy's Girl




"... fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."
(Romans 12:11b)