Tuesday, February 5, 2013

No Guesswork in God

There's a big difference between doing what we think is best and doing what's for our certain good.  That truth is what separates earthly fathers from our Heavenly Father.
"For our earthly fathers disciplined us only for a short period of time and chastised us as seemed proper and good to them; but He disciplines us for our certain good, that we may become sharers in His own holiness." (Heb. 12:10)
When God asks me to do something He knows is difficult and, by His mercy, I say "okay, Father - I'll do it because You asked me to, and I know it pleases you", it brings tears to His eyes.  He's told me so.  Holy Spirit motivates my obedience with the truth that, with Daddy, there is NEVER any guesswork involved in the things He asks of me; He sees the end from the beginning.

The Best of
My smart-alack side wants to say that point is pretty much a no-brainer; it's like Christianity 101 to know God sees the end from the beginning, isn't it, Sharon?  Duh! Um, He's GOD, remember?  But in the midst of all my sarcastic self-talk my God-led spirit man reminds me what an awful struggle it sometimes is for me to follow one directive from God in particular:  "Have faith."

Uh-oh, Miss know-it-all!  Where's the "no-brainer", easy breezy talk then, huh?  When it comes down to either tithing for the month or paying an overdue bill, I'm often racing to the shelf I've pompously labeled "been there, done that, got this" and desperately groping through that "elementary" volume of truths for rescue.  It's called Christianity 101 for a reason, folks; and I've found that out the hard way, time and again.  Foundational truths are always necessary to my growth in Christ.  They're what settles my "house" firm in Him... and they are what eternally encourage me.  So for me, the simple, priceless truth that God always sees and knows the end from the beginning is a key component to maintaining faith as I grow in maturity, leadership, and the character of Christ's unconditional love.

That brings me back to the tremendous comfort it is that, with Daddy, if I only obey His requests, a joyful, beneficial outcome is sure.  Daddy also makes certain that His reward outweighs the rigors of each trial and testing.  Isn't that cool?

Folks, if we'd ever sincerely allow it to sink in that there's no such thing as guesswork with Daddy, we would never be truly daunted by or afraid of anything the Lord allows or sets before us in any transition of life.  In humility, I always back up the truck and reabsorb the basic lessons of God's character but, this time, I've asked that Holy Spirit please appropriate this wisdom to my life, permanently - allowing me to carry it in my heart, and on my forehead, and in all my doings, forever, in Jesus' Name.

For me, learning humility has been a difficult road.  Some stretches resemble a steeple chase, and some are starkly barren, immediately exposing pride.  Still in all, it's up to me to hold on to Jesus through everything; only then can I make it over hill and dale and ditch and rut and still come out living like Christ.

Jesus did everything the Father ever asked of Him because He knows Daddy is greater than all and knows the outcome of a thing even before its beginning.  Christ is my Example - so that's what I want to do, too... knowing that - not only has Daddy "got this" - but, in ALL THINGS He acts for my certain good.
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God; to those who are the called according to His purpose." (Rom. 8:28)
Let's pray...

[Merciful Father, in Jesus' Name I ask that You cause and enable us to remember the marvelous, foundational truths of Your character and goodness so that we will know first and foremost that You always know what You're doing, and You are for us and never against us.  We thank You for the patient reminder that we will be brought through every test, trial, and transitioning of life successfully when we humbly submit to Your Spirit in obedience, trust, and love.  We bless Your Name and tender heart forever.  Amen.]

Recognizing the value of His simple truths,
Daddy's Girl



"... fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."
(Romans 12:11b)