Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Trust Issues

I started thinking about trust issues and how God has had to work me through them over the years.  The simple scenario of a road builder came to mind.  A clean, handsome, skilled, architect of asphalt replete with hard hat, goggles, gloves, red shirt, blue jeans and steel-toed boots stood up in my mind's eye; it delighted me to picture the man as Christ.

Christ's road was perfectly constructed.  Though long and narrow, it was pristine, straight, and led travelers directly to its purported destination with clear, accurate signage throughout.

Naturally, to the left of the holy builder's gorgeous road was another path scraped broadly, almost intrusively into a rocky, pitted landscape.  The foreman of that construction was dirty, sweaty, and wore no protective gear at all.  He had a rugged, masculine, devil-may-care stance and build.  A permanent smirk parted his lips just enough to be irritating, and the "road" he built twisted through weeds to a dead end.  I don't really need to name this guy, do I?  (Hint: His favorite tool is a hole digger.)

What at first might seem obvious in terms of road choice isn't always.  If it were, no one (especially me) would ever make a mistake or commit sin.  Think about it.  So many times God has had to pull me off of the dirty, sweaty hunk (who secretly desires to slit my throat) because my flesh finds him attractive.  It's why scripture says that sin, for a season, is pleasurable.  Hey, what healthy woman doesn't want to touch a hunky man's muscular chest?  Unfortunately, being led around by the flesh usually blinds me to road conditions, because the last thing I'm focused on is my feet.

So Daddy in His mercy waits until my  heart is open to Him, and He sends His invitation to venture down His clear road, along the straight path.  But do I trust Him?

After all, He is not trying to seduce me with fleshly delights. He offers only truth and - to the flesh - truth is boring, isn't it?  So it's up to me to allow Holy Spirit to remind me of the absolute pleasures and safety found only in knowing Abba as my road builder.  Comparing things like peace of mind, intense joy, acceptance, and wholeness to flash-in-the-pan titillation is really no contest.  No need for a long list of fleshly descriptives because they're all summed up in one word:  deception.  That's all the enemy has to offer, isn't it?

Then why, so often, have I chosen the wrong road?
Why do I still, occasionally, choose the wrong road?

Trust issues.

When you completely trust a road is going to safely and unfailingly bring you to the right place - you take it.  Every single time unless, of course, you're crazy (but that's another blog post entirely).  That's what the Lord continually exposes in me as I walk further along His path of deliverance to complete wholeness, health, and healing.  When I'm tempted to kick a can, shove dejected hands into my pockets, and hang my head in discouragement He picks me up, lifts my chin with His warm finger, and comforts me with  approving eyes.  "Brick by brick," He always says.  I just love Holy Spirit.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."          (Proverbs 3:5-6)
The bare truth is God is entirely trustworthy.  He's batting 1,000 and has never let anyone down, ever - but the enemy is the poster boy of failure.  So it's up to me.  It's up to us.  Trust is a choice to refuse the whining and enticements of the flesh - or not.

Friends, let's ask God to enable us to stretch out on the truth of His word, for He is faithful.   His word also says He sets before us life and death and urges us to choose life so that we and our seed will live.  With every step I take down Christ's road to life eternal, it becomes clearer to me that the flesh is never what it's cracked up to be, and every single wink and smirk of the enemy leads only to a dead-end.  So let's ask Holy Spirit to put our flesh in a sound-proof room, where we cannot hear its depraved prodding to follow the filthy road builder.

He will.  We can trust Him.

Praising His Worthy Name,
Daddy's Girl



"... fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."
(Romans 12:11b)