Saturday, April 20, 2013

God & His Great Films: Part 1

Sherwood Church is doing a phenomenal job in Christian film making.  I've seen all four of their productions, and each in its way is fantastic.  Everyone loves movies with a message, and the fingerprint of God's prophetic blessings on these works is enormous.  Millions of souls have been changed by the way these inspired screenplays boldly portray and honor God's incomparable heart.

"FACING THE GIANTS" (watch it now on itbn)

This is my favorite of the Sherwood Church films.  Its very title advises audiences of the critical themes confronting lives everywhere, but more ferociously mobilized against Christians, who the enemy views as a continual threat to his evil intents.

God's powerful, comforting counsel to us regarding fear, faith, and perseverance is simple: "I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me." (Phil. 4:13) and "...with God, all things are possible." (Mark 10:27b)  Complete agreement with this truth of God's life-changing virtue in Facing the Giants is clear.

A Tiny Synopsis


High school football coach Grant Taylor is in trouble.  His life and job have little or no direction or spark of excitement, and it looks as if he has coached his last season for his Christian Academy team, the Shiloh Eagles.  At home, Grant and his loving wife struggle to start a family and manage gaunt finances. 

Enter the Hand of God and the beginning of my favorite sequences of this film.  Several are supremely noteworthy, but I've narrowed my list to four - each of which posed a key question and challenge to my heart.  (For those who may not have seen this film, I'll do my best to steer clear of spoilers!)

1.  Will you ask God for help?

God is continually teaching me that men are people, too.  Every time I see a man of God humble himself and pray as Grant Taylor did in the face of daunting discouragement, I am convicted and blessed.

In a meadow on his own property, amid the tidal wave of uncertainty, fear, and personal shame (in not fathering children), he beseeches the Lord meekly, asking...

"Lord Jesus, will You help me?  I need You..."

Those words, sincerely uttered by a male, unceasingly fill my being with tears. For me, few things are more lovely than the heart of any humble, vulnerable child of God... but especially a man's.  Readers familiar with certain portions of my testimony know why.  Societal pressures being what they are for Christ's Body, this touching scene unfailingly sharpens my focus on Almighty God as the one and only Total Source of help and strength for me and anyone, anywhere, ever.

2.  Will you REFUSE to quit?

Legendary British Prime Minister Winston Churchill is often credited with trailblazing the notion of unyielding perseverance through the words of his historical speech in the face of Adolf Hitler's threats to level the country during World War II.

Said Churchill, "... we shall go on 'til the end.  We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight in growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be.  We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets. We shall never surrender!"

Although the single-minded confidence of his speech still resonates, Churchill did not birth its sentiments; God did.  It was several millennia ago that Yahweh encouraged Joshua - the Pioneer of the Promised Land - with bolstering assurances, saying,
"Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses.  From the wilderness and this Lebanon even unto the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and unto the great sea toward the going down of the sun, shall be your coast.  There shall not any man be able to stand before you all the days of your life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with you: I will not fail you, nor forsake you.  Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shall you divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them." (Joshua 1:3-6)
God cannot lie, and His promise of faithfulness and loyalty to us removes all excuse for abandoning His commissioning and assignments.  All of scripture is peppered mightily with these assurances and, in light of the strong tower of confidence God continually speaks into our lives, I believe it's fair to say the ancient Christian motto is summarized by two boldly tenacious words Facing the Giants also echoes:  Don't Quit! 

Enough said.

Nitty-Gritty Issues


For me, discussing the next two questions "facing" my heart will take special prayer and impartation in courage, because what I'm referring to I've never shared before on Daddy's Girl.  Until my next post, I solicit your prayers and urge you to watch this masterpiece, if you haven't already.

Um... you'll need tissues. 


Loving God and His Great Films,
Daddy's Girl


"...fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."
(Romans 12:11b)