Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Powerfully Praising Our Lord in Song

I've always been touched by the lives of old hymn writers and their anointed lyrics.

Lately, I've been thinking of the words to Thomas Moore's "Come Ye Disconsolate"; specifically, the beginning stanza:

Come ye disconsolate, where e'er ye languish.
Come to the Mercy Seat; fervently kneel.
Here bring your wounded hearts, here tell your anguish.
Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal.

Where will you find a more tender entreaty so directly reflective of the heart of God? 

As a child, singing hymns like this one in church really touched my heart and got my attention. Lyrics like these started me thinking about scriptures in the Bible like Psalm 62:8 where humankind is urged to "Pour out your heart before Him..."  I knew there had to be more to serving Him and loving Him than met the eye at church.  I loved my raising in the nurture and admonition of God but - especially due to hymns and scriptures like this - I knew there was something more to relationship with Him... and there certainly is.  Lord willing, here I'll share the phrases that grip my soul most.

I believe because I know how important His "Mercy Seat" is to me, the words of this particular work absolutely slay me every time I read them or hear them or say them.  I felt the power of His entreaty as a little girl, and I feel it in Christ's and Daddy's heartfelt vulnerability, even now:

Come to the Mercy Seat; fervently kneel.

Regular readers of Daddy's Girl know the word "fervent" means a lot to me.  I end nearly every post in a powerful excerpt from Romans 12:11b.  It appears in the midst of that supercharged passage from one of the most awesome chapters in the entire Bible, which reads (from verse 9-14):

Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.
Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honor preferring one another;
Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;
Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.


God is richly abundant in mercy, such that - were we to receive (all at once) the fullness of His heart's intensity in love for us - we would be vaporized.  He reaches out His powerful hands, dripping with the anointed oils of our supplications by Holy Spirit, and smears their thick, fragranted blessings upon us - top to bottom, side to side.

God is absolutely crazy about us, y'all.

When my heart hears His invitation to all who are willing to earnestly approach His Mercy Seat to receive the bounty of beneficence from His heart - it totally breaks me up, because I know He means it more than He means anything toward us in all of eternity.  As Isaiah 55:7 urges,
"Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts.  Let him return to the Lord, and He will have mercy on Him - and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon."
He is FULL  of hugs and kisses to impart... always willing to forgive and deliberately forget the sins we've committed when we confess and relinquish them to the omnipotent Blood covering of His Son Jesus.   Really, beloved, our total exoneration couldn't be easier!

Here bring your wounded hearts, here tell your anguish...

God really wants to hear it all!  That's what this line said to me as a child and still compassionately speaks to my heart.  He relishes that privacy with us.  He prizes our knowing how wonderfully possessive He is of all of His children, and how He longs for all of His creation to know Him intimately... period.  'Come and tell ME', He's saying... 'Me and only Me!  For I and ONLY I can give you what you need!'  I see His tear-filled eyes, I see His neck bulging with earnest entreaty on Heaven's behalf, I see His hands and arms outstretched - NEVER drawn back - and I hear His voice passionately cracking as the salt of heavy tears coats the back of His throat, and His heart BURSTS  in the explosive depths of outreach to the souls He creates and loves as He loves His own form...  O, bless His Holy Name!

Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal.

No man, woman, boy, girl, place, animal, thing, or dimension in the universe will ever think of or truthfully imagine a dilemma of any kind that Daddy cannot wipe away entirely, if we are wholly submitted to His plans.  The truth embodied in that blockbusting statement the Lord Himself spoke to Jeremiah several millennia ago still carries the mega-bomb ability to annihilate every ounce of trouble from the enemy or his forces.  The faithful phrase fills my heart with courage, even now, to continue this good fight every day in His Holy, Majestic, and Mighty Name, no matter what:
“Behold, I Am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me?" (Jer. 32:27)
Hallelujah! Let that truth resound within you, Saints!  God cannot lie, and there is no fault in Him.  So, it's true, beloved...  YOU HAVE NO SORROW THAT DADDY CANNOT HEAL!    Glory!!

Writers like Thomas Moore knew what they were writing about!  They had a relationship sharing the suffering and trials, triumphs and REJOICING of our Lord and Savior that left His mark upon their lives forever; and Holy Spirit's everlasting pen within them proclaimed the TRUTH of His undying love for us from every housetop, that we would know and experience the unfathomable goodness of our loving God, in songs of worship and praise, forever.

I love those old hymns and writers; their lyrics and testimonies have blessed my life.   Indeed, their works do follow them!


So thankful for His Goodness,
Daddy's Girl



"... fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."
(Romans 12:11b)