Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Celebrating Dependence

"Who has known the mind of the Lord?  Who has told Him what to say?  Who has ever given to God that God should have to repay?  For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things.  To Him be the glory, forever and ever.  Amen."  (Romans 11:34-36)
On the eve of the nation's celebration of independence, I thank Daddy for something wholly different.  For over the past four years He has transitioned my mentality from one of independence - much like what's heralded by our country - to total dependence on Him.

I know the country's argument might be that our forefathers achieved independence from the tyranny of Great Britain, and that is partly true.  But by far the pervasive mental message of the very concept of "independence" is one of autonomy, self-reliance, and self-sufficiency... none of which indwell the true peace of God in a Christian's life.

The truth is, we need God for everything... even to "stand on our own two feet" because, when it comes down to it, He created those feet, didn't He?  He formed us and gave us life and even the very ability to choose life over death.  Yes, even our autonomy comes from His benevolent wellsprings of power.
“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing." (John 15:5)
The Best of
God has taught me to relax in Him, to "seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness", and to depend on the truth that He will provide for me no matter what. Saints, month in and month out - come rain or shine - He has done just that by His merciful power and by His blood.  Who can credibly argue with His manifested faithfulness? The truth is God has come through in every way for me, even though I have not worked a "regular job" in years.  He said He was calling me into full-time ministry and that He would take care of me and supply everything for me - and He has.  Period.

HALLELUJAH!

So, on the eve of the nation's celebrations I celebrate the truth God has manifested in my life (and the lives of countless others in His family) that total dependence on Him is a good thing.  As our eternally loving, Sourcing, Heavenly Daddy it's His delight to provide for His kids in all things, always.

Are you celebrating your dependence upon God?  If you're struggling a bit with this truth, just remember these words...
"Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." (Luke 12:32)

DADDY'S GIRL


"...fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."
(Romans 12:11b)