Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Blessing God for the Dream

I praise God for the strong ancestry from which I descend - first in the Body of Christ and then as a member of the Black race.  As the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech is commemorated, I praise God for every person of EVERY race who marched in unity with God's sentiments for brotherhood expressed through MLK.

The blood of four nations of the earth courses through my veins in clear, God-given representation of the "dream" Martin spoke about that hot August day in 1963, two years before I was a glint in my mother's eye.  In many ways since then, his dream has come true.

Neither I nor any of my black acquaintances have had to stop on the side of the road to relieve ourselves because of laws prohibiting our use of proper sanitation facilities.  I have never had to use inferior restrooms and water fountains and restaurants for any reason whatsoever, let alone the color of my skin.

Although I have tasted racial discrimination in my lifetime (as many people of various ethnic backgrounds have), I have never suffered to the point of bloodshed or incarceration as hundreds of courageous souls did during the Civil Rights era.  Because of their bravery, my generation has largely "overcome", and I owe them my solemn thanks.

I can vote freely, I can eat where I want, relieve myself like a decent human being in any public facility I choose, and I can be educated to the fullest extent of financial and collegiate offerings available.  I have never been made to feel like an animal just because I am black, and I PRAISE ALMIGHTY GOD for breaking the back of segregation in this country through faithful sons and daughters of Jesus Christ like Martin Luther King, Jr.

In every way King spoke of, by God's power, I am living the dream he and many like him of every race and creed died to bring about.

Have we still got a ways to go?  As long as sin is in the world there will be prejudice in the stream of every race, so - yes we do.  But have we come a LONG way by the grace of Almighty God?  Absolutely, Gratefully, Resoundingly... YES we have.

Thank You, Jesus.

Blessing our God for the dream,
Daddy's Girl


"... fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."
(Romans 12:11b)