Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Difference Between Sin & Mistakes: Part 1

Until last year, I never knew there was a difference between sin and mistakes in God's eyes.  Simply stated, sin is (as the Bible says) knowing to do right and not doing it.  Mistakes are knowing to do right but going about it the wrong way.  How about that?

This came to mind because of a word I received from God through a Pastor recently, which explained He wanted to address the "sin and mistakes" made by someone in my life.  His differentiation of the two terms piqued my curiosity (as usual) and I asked that question.

Daddy is so cool, y'all.  He sat me down in explaining it to me and said,

"A mistake isn't any more a sin than getting a wrong answer on a math test is." 

That comparison illuminated my mind and opened my understanding like nothing else because - as always with Daddy - the difference between sins and mistakes comes down to the intent of our hearts.

If, in our hearts, we are genuinely trying to obey Him, but we go about it the wrong way, he doesn't regard our efforts as sin - only mistakes.  However, if we know what we're supposed to do and how to do it, yet we choose not to... that's sin.  Outright disobedience is always sin.
  
"Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin." (James 4:17)

An interesting (and transparent) case-in-point from my life bears testimony to the truths Daddy has presented:

About a year-and-a-half ago, God wanted to begin intense deliverance in my life in areas of relationships.  As regular Daddy's Girl readers already know, I was delivered from homosexuality decades ago and, since then, have been married and divorced.  Since I practiced that corrupt lifestyle for several years longer than I was married, the grossly-flawed emotions and belief systems associated with that life were still within me.

So, when Abba asked me to prepare myself emotionally for what He was about to expose and deliver regarding "relationships", I didn't know how to approach that.  It hadn't occurred to me that the only way to prepare myself was to simply hold on to Holy Spirit and ask Him to put me in the place I needed to be.  I tried to "ready myself" in my own strength, but I had nothing to grab onto but the flesh. 

Read tomorrow's post to discover the outrageously pathetic (and huge) mistake I made...

Daddy's Girl

"... fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."
(Romans 12:11b)