Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Legacy of Faith

I woke up thinking about what kind of legacy I want to leave for my children.  Since God has promised them to me (and I cover that testimony of faith in His Blood), and has made me steward over many young souls in the interim, these kinds of thoughts occasionally fill my mind.

The song, "Find Us Faithful" pretty much fits the bill for me.  Remember it, sung in rich rendition by Steve Green?  I love that version.  Here are some of its lyrics:

"Oh, may all who come behind us find us faithful! May the fire of our devotion light their way.  May the footprints that we leave lead them to believe and the lives we live inspire them to obey. Oh, may all who come behind us find us faithful!"

(Music by Steve Green, 1988; Lyrics by Jon Mohr.)

That's exactly what my mother did for me.  The light of God burning within her breast kindled His flame in my heart and made me desire to live my life for Him.  I want that for my children also.  The fire that the Holy City Jerusalem ignites in my entire being whenever I think of it I want to burst in the hearts of my children as they follow Jesus behind me.  Dear God, please light that fire within them!  Please cause their breasts to burn with the Spirit of the Living God!  Who doesn't want that for their children?

Even though our Daddy doesn't govern the universe based on the Gregorian calendar, He does acknowledge its position in our lives and graciously considers our hearts concerning it.  So as 2013 dissolves into 2014, my friends, I challenge you to consider what kind of legacy in Jesus you want to leave for your children and for those God has assigned to your life as spiritual offspring.  Pray that His light burns within them and that they are inspired all the more to follow Him because of the lives of perseverance and obedient strength (powered by Jesus) we have lived in their sight.  It's a very serious matter, isn't it?

Let's listen again to the words of that beautiful song, "Find Us Faithful", and utter the prayer from our hearts that we will do exactly as the words say in leaving a Godly example for our children.  The legacy of a life lived for Jesus is the very best and highest gift any of us could possibly give them.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Daddy's Girl

"... fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."
(Romans 12:11b)