Thursday, December 19, 2013

Expectations

I saw an episode of "The Honeymooners" recently where Alice and Trixie held their husbands hostage to stringent requirements regarding marriage dos and don'ts.  While I understood what the women were hoping for, before the end of the episode I felt kind of sorry for the guys in all truth.  Mainly because they were fighting a battle they couldn't win - against expectations.

A Life-Changing Analogy


Over the years, God has tendered me towards the hurtful players in my past with a simple but profound truth regarding the "e" word.  I have a secretarial (oops! excuse me... administrative) background - rife for the kind of analogy God drew to bring home His deliverance in my life.  One day, amid my frustration and anger with the latest victim of my stifling expectations, He spoke these words to my spirit,

"Sharon, think of (this person) like an empty file cabinet.  As you go to each drawer in them, you open it and you expect to find things like honor, kindness, consideration, and compassion but you don't find any of them.  Instead of getting angry, Sharon, think of the real reason behind why you don't find the things you're looking for...

... they've never been filed there.  The person you've perceived as having let you down hasn't really let you down at all.  They've just fallen prey to your enormous expectations based on standards which were filed in YOUR file cabinet, but not theirs.  They cannot give you what they do not have.

So have mercy... take pity on their void estate regarding the things of virtue you've been blessed to receive.  Respond in My tenderness and understanding, and not in anger and frustration.  Pray that they will allow My Spirit to finally place those files of love and compassion into their cabinet, so that you may draw from them.  Pray that I can use you as the example they need to reach out to receive these things.  After all, that's what was done for you, beloved.  When your mother and other loved ones asked Me to teach you, I opened your heart so that you could receive.  If you show mercy and pray for (this person), I can and will do the same for them.  Will you?"

My friends, all I could do was sit in silence (I think my mouth was open)... I was stunned.  God drew an analogy to which I absolutely related.  It was infallibly reasonable and true, and I understood its truth completely.  In its face, the only thing I could do was yield and ask for Daddy's forgiveness.  Well, there was something else I did...

I blessed His Holy Name and grew all the more in unshakable, total awe of Him and His everlasting Wisdom, Mercy, and Understanding.

I pray you'll do the same.

Daddy's Girl

"... fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."
(Romans 12:11b)