Thursday, January 9, 2014

"Like a Bridge..."

I was crying tears of love and thanksgiving tonight thinking of the lengths to which Abba will go to voice His love to us.  The Lord's nature is sacrificial; that is the nature of love and He IS love.

Assuring us repeatedly that He will go to any extent necessary to win our love and convince us of His love for us, God gave Paul Simon the words to "Bridge Over Troubled Water", a pop song that was a smash hit in my youth.  Simon was listening to Rev. Claude Jeter of the Swan Silvertones when the Lord inspired the song.  Its words have always touched my soul when I think of them being breathed from the breast of Holy Spirit to all of humanity. Here's an excerpt:

"When you're weary, feeling small,
When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all;
I'm on your side. When times get rough
And friends just can't be found,
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down."**

See how vulnerable God is being... feel His outstretched hand in those awesome lyrics. How can that not touch any heart?

It's so true that God is on our side, beloved; that's never a question.  Actually, the eternal query is - whose side are we on?  With a Heavenly Father Who is willing to humble Himself and become obedient unto death on our behalf, to harness Himself to sin and shame so they might be lifted from our shoulders, and to be soiled and spat upon so that we might be cleansed... why wouldn't we be on His side?

It's the side of love, my friends; unconditional love and forgiveness and sacrifice.  The Almighty, Omniscient, Omnipotent, and Omnipresent God is willing to lay Himself down to be walked upon by His own creation that they might be led to safety by His Fatherly, transparent, vulnerable, unabashed, protective, saturating love.

O, Lord, my Lord... Who is like YOU?!

HALLELUJAH!  What have we got here, beloved?  I am enthralled by His faithfulness, and astonished by His love.

"Behold, what manner of love the Father has bestowed upon us that we should be called the children of God!" (1 John 3:1)
           "O, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His Name together!" (Psalm 34:3)

HALLELUJAH!

Let Him be your bridge over troubled water today, my friends.  He laid Himself down for me, He'll do the same for you.  He's ready, willing, and waiting... and you'll never find a love or a friend like unto Him in any universe... ever.

"O, how I love JESUS, because He first loved me!"

Daddy's Girl
 
"... fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."
(Romans 12:11b)

**(Excerpt from Bridge Over Troubled Water written by Paul Simon; Copyright: Paul Simon Music.)