Thursday, March 6, 2014

Heart Conditions

In further understanding Daddy's heart towards us, my thoughts went to the following scripture verse:
"In God is my salvation and my glory; the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.  Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.  Selah."  (Psalm 62:7-8)
The portion of that beautiful scripture which has touched me deeply since I was a young girl is, "pour out your heart before Him..." 

As I've shared with you before, pretty much any time the Bible speaks of the "heart relationship" between God and us, my ears perk up.  I wondered as a girl if pouring out my heart before God was really what He wanted and was really okay with Him.  I wanted it to be that way with all of my being because - like so many people - although I didn't have a positive relationship with my earthly father I still desperately needed fathering.

But since I contemplate nearly everything, all the time, through the years a question formed in my heart regarding this scripture verse:
"If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me; but truly God has heard me - He has attended to the voice of my prayer." (Psalm 66:18-19)
Can you guess which portion of this passage stumped me?  Yep, the heart part - "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me..."  It seemed like a contradiction to me that we would be urged to pour out our hearts before God, but also be told that - if iniquity is regarded in our hearts - we won't be heard by Him.

As always, enter Holy Spirit... I love Him for so many things, y'all, but especially for stuff like this.  He is the Master Teacher living right inside of us and, in addressing the query in my spirit, this is what He told me:

When iniquity holds favor in a heart, beloved, one's petitions to God are insincere.  The Lord will never deny the honest inquiries and entreaties of a heart simply bound by sin, desiring to repent... don't confuse the heart conditions.  Sincerity is always honored by the Father and, no matter what the sin, He will always give audience to a questioning mind desiring to know and receive more of Him, forsaking evil ways.  Only the heart that honors (or "regards") evil intentions will not be heard by God, for the motives of that heart are not genuinely desirous of His Truth.

The Lord is amazing, friends!  There is nothing we can't ask of Him; no query we can't take to Him in sincerity, seeking Truth.  When I'm stumped by sins, I can take those problems to Him, and He will hear me.  When I'm angry and banging my head against the wall, or when I'm so sad my rear end is just inches from the ground, I can take those negative attitudes to Christ, seeking His renewal and rest, and He will hear me.  As long as my heart is earnestly seeking a hearing for clarity, relief, and freedom, I can walk right into the Throne Room of Almighty God and be heard, corrected, released from all burden, and forgiven of all sin.

In short, I can always pour out my heart before Abba; for, indeed, He is a refuge for us. Amen.

DADDY'S GIRL


"... fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."
(Romans 12:11b)