Thursday, August 21, 2014

Don't Fear Browning Trees

photo credit: Nicholas_T via photopin cc
The other day I noticed one tree turning brown amid a cluster of green outside my living room window.  It wasn't dead, but just beginning to fade.  That observation started a chain reaction of thoughts within me regarding the end of summer and fairly early onset of autumn.  After all, God's creation obeys His will and not the Gregorian calendar.

The next opportunity I had to view wildflowers and weeds alongside the road, sure enough, I spotted the brilliant yellow tips of spindly golden rod swaying back and forth in creamy warm winds that still felt like summer.  However, as I watched them I couldn't help hearing my mother's words from long ago, interpretive of the changing of seasons.  "When golden rod is yellow, the leaves are turning brown," she'd say, adding that no matter what the calendar might say, "when you see golden rod, Sharon, summer is over."

Aw, man... !

So, as I kicked a can all the way home, I thought to myself, Beautiful summer is over already? What a gyp!

But it's not really a gyp, I know.  It's simply the obedience of nature following the command of Almighty God.  My mother went on to tell me, "He puts the trees to sleep in fall and wakes them up again in springtime."  She always brought God's marvelous ways to life for me; I couldn't help being absolutely fascinated by Him.

She also taught me that - in all things - God must be obeyed.  I believe that to this day.  So, when I see God-ordained changes taking effect in my life much like one season yielding to another, I don't fume or fuss (anymore)... I yield to His perfect ways.  I trust and obey, knowing that the season to come holds promises yet to be fulfilled, joy yet to be realized, and the strengthening showcase of God's unfailing love and faithfulness.

Don't fear the browning trees, beloved, because they are continual proof of God's plan for you unfolding to the place of His rest until covenant promises burst forth from His hand in springtime.

Rejoicing in God's Sovereign plans for us all,
DADDY'S GIRL


"... fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."
(Romans 12:11b)