Wednesday, March 9, 2016

This debt you can repay in your sleep

Financially speaking, I am debt free and have been for many years. All Glory and Praise goes to Abba for that as always; I bless His Holy Name.

However, for about the last six years my shoulders have bowed under the weight of a debt more costly than that of dollars and cents; namely, sleep debt.
 
When I stopped working outside the home and got a job doing online transcription, sleep deprivation entered my life in a new way.  Those of you who've tackled serious work in transcription - especially online - know that the number of hours required to produce quality transcripts can establish and raise sleep debt to anguishing levels. Over the three years I worked online, I completed dozens of transcripts for two overseas companies; so, the proper setting of my body's inner clock (called the Circadian clock) was drastically altered.

Though the work was extremely wearing - harshly drawing on my mind and body - I enjoyed it.  I've always been a "night" person, so staying awake until dawn wasn't exactly a foreign concept; however, focusing at my desk night after night to complete ten, 20, sometimes 30-page transcripts was.

My friends, the spirit is forgiving, but the flesh is not.  Transcription work wore me down and (even though I would stagger to bed after uploading transcripts and sleep until 2 or 3 in the afternoon) weeks of enduring such demanding schedules built and secured my body's sleep debt in its own painful fortress. Daddy has caused me to realize that, since then, my body has suffered in sneaky ways.

For instance, I thought little glitches in my memory were due to perhaps indirectly inhaling too much of the lacquer that covers my completed paintings. Uh, no... sleep deprivation is to blame.  I thought not showing patience with some of Jack's habits was legitimate "righteousness" on my part (what a joke!); uh... no, Sharon... truth is, you're irritable because you need more sleep. (Sorry, Jack!)

Thankfully, through Abba's undying mercy, I've been concentrating on obediently prying loose the claws of an approximately 44-hour sleep debt creature my body can no longer carry. Being over age 50 now also makes a difference. I've not only resumed a normal sleep schedule to regulate the Circadian clock, but I'm also making fast friends with the art of "napping" - two hours each day is the goal - because those are the true "payback" hours. The progress will be slow but sure as long as I remain obedient.  I'm just beginning, so I deeply solicit your prayers.

There are many debts in life that cannot be repaid before death but, due to Abba's mercy, this is one I can literally repay in my sleep!

Beloved, if you're sleep deprived, I urge you to ask God to show you how you can make up those hours and be restored to the amazing health, JOY, and happiness of simply being well rested.

God bless you.

DADDY'S GIRL

"... fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."
(Romans 12:11b)